Give feedback...

Subchannels or Subfolders to Better Organize Video Collections

We noticed that the videos can be organized by channel. We believe that as more videos are added, they will need to be organized better. Rather than adding additional channels, being able to create folders within a channel would be nice. If channels are designed to separate teams or projects, subchannels (folders) would be great.

Thanks.

1,563 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anon4343Anon4343 shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

I agree, allow us to organize based on tags or whatever. Be that folders or playlists.

But most of all, share some updates or plans. From what I am reading, Stream might replace Videos but I don't see that you do this in Stream either. Hopefully I am wrong!

Playlists idea is good. Playlists curated from tags that admins can create based upon managed metadata have to prevail over folders although I think you can have both with item level security. Today a channel is attuned to groups with the right security. In the future, channels need to be created both ways. We've had to create a secure channel for of our secure nuclear facilities videos so IT & Facilities management can find the wiring closets. Please make some improvements or at least share some updates soon.

This should be done as playlists in my opinion rather than folders. It would mean one video could belong to more than one playlist. Metadata is the future not folders!

• Anonymous commented  · 

This feedback forum is a joke. The top two feature request in this forum has been sitting here for two years and Microsoft has done nothing.

• Mike ZimmermanMike Zimmerman commented  · 

I concure that there needs to be some way to group under Channels...However I don't think either subchannels or subfolders are the way to go without playlists or tags. I see this today where I have created help videos but we are struggling with how to organize in an environment that will see constant rapid change.

My current issue is that I already uploaded and linked a number of videos only to be told I have to now move to a newly created channel. If I can't just "Move", I lose the GUID which means all direct links break. If I do go the re-upload to new channel, I have to make sure that I copy the same Title/Description text so the video can be found through search.

So My vote is for a way to organize better... but I would be very disappointed if all we get are folders. We need playlists more than anything. That way you have flexibility to group videos in ways that you can't with folders.

I think we have been having the same discussion with SharePoint for years now... folders vs columns :)

Thanks

• Andy RobertsAndy Roberts commented  · 

This is a must, we can then move all our video content to 365 Video. Until then its just to flat. Works very very well technically, just needs subfolders.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Absolute must for me. Also the ability to move videos into other folders without losing viewing stats.

• Juan-I. GonzalezJuan-I. Gonzalez commented  · 

I agree.
        WIthout "sub-channels" and theirs own permissions, the current video channels are "heavy-content" in a few weeks.

• Ella S.Ella S. commented  · 

Without opportunity moving video between channels, subfolders has no meaning.

• AndyAndy commented  · 

As previously mentioned - to make this a viable platform to host videos - it needs the same functionality as YouTube - especially the option to make playlists or channels within channels.

• Anonymous commented  · 

This is something we definitely need. We are currently using this to house our anatomy dissection videos. I need to be able to create playlists for each year, and each organ system.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Subchannels and/or subfolders with the ability to assign custom permissions is strongly needed together with the ability to setup metadata for the videos. And the metadata should also be customized by the administrator iso some are mandatory and some are optional.
        If these requirements are fulfilled we can see a use for the Video app in my organisation.

• Shobhit BaadkarShobhit Baadkar commented  · 

This is pretty common stuff. How was this missed in the initial roll-out? You guys created the ability to create sub-directories in MS-DOS. How did your development team miss this one?

• Anonymous commented  · 

Also need to be able to create playlists like on YouTube and reorder videos especially as many of our videos are created in multiple parts.

• Jennifer KelleyJennifer Kelley commented  · 

Please add possibility for create views in a channel based on metadata!

• HeatherHeather commented  · 

This needs to get added soon!

• JasonJason commented  · 

The ability to create sub folders within channels with the ability to get them to have separate permissions would be awesome!!!!

• MicheleMichele commented  · 

We recently created a channel that houses a monthly Hot Topic video. We found out right away that there didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to how the video order appeared. We also realized there wasn't a way to organize or sort them other than the video feature. Having the capability to organize order or to have categories for videos to appear in would be a great and needed feature.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base