Give feedback...

Subchannels or Subfolders to Better Organize Video Collections

We noticed that the videos can be organized by channel. We believe that as more videos are added, they will need to be organized better. Rather than adding additional channels, being able to create folders within a channel would be nice. If channels are designed to separate teams or projects, subchannels (folders) would be great.

Thanks.

1,746 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anon4343 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

55 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Going into the "Channels" is a bit overwhelming with just a single list. More metadata would be useful to allow sorting. Key piece being "My Channels".

How is this not done? Its 5 minutes work for someone.

We are struggling to successfully organise video for departments without this.

I think categories is also the same iea here, at my school if I create a flipped classroom video channel for grade 3 I want them to be able to sort their videos according to Maths, english, science etc, critical just having a wall of videos that cannot be sorted freely in any way by the user is no good for a school environment.

• David Beaudette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Creating views like you can in SharePoint based on those channels/subfolders or meta data is key. In addition to just the organization aspect you can use a field to link to an associated presentation or other material which people can leverage.

In order to make this user friendly you need to have flexibility in organizing the content.

• Matt Varney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to use metadata to group/sort/search/display videos would be great. The absence of metadata abilities seems to run contrary to what Microsoft and the industry has been pushing for years when it comes to content management practices in general. Is there a story behind this change in direction? Is the vision to have captioning services analyze the video content, extract terms, and apply them as metadata in an automated fashion? Or is metadata not important for content management anymore?

Sub Channels and the ability to create client login credentials to view individual videos is critical for our use

• Bob E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just started using a Video channel for one of our departments, and the first thing I looked for was 'how do I organise their many videos into categories?'. This really is essential, please, Microsoft.

• John R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allowing subchannels or subfolders with the ability to assign custom permissions is a requirement for my organization to further utilize SharePoint Video. I hope this functionality is released soon.

• Dave G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Have the ability to have "sub channels" would be very useful for larger organizations, like us, with a lot of videos. If we were to create channels for all the sub categories it would clutter up the Channel page and be hard for user to find what they are looking for. If there was the option for additional meta data that would help, but it's nice to have a visual path to see what's out there if they are just browsing as they may not know what's all out there or what to search for.

• Rohit Jain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With subchannels or subfolders, being able to provide access at that level will be essential. We would also create one Training folder and provide fine-grained access within the overall channel to individual departments or teams.

• Guy Shearer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - I've already found that I'm going to be setting up Channels like Training (IT), Training (Finance) - I think though that instead of it being a channel broken into sub-channels (with the permissions I guess set at the top) it would be more useful to be able to bundle related channels eg IT Training and Finance Training each with the relevant permissions (which for our organisation are totally difference teams) grouped into a "Channel Pack" much like TV companies might bundle channels together.

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base